Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Can't-Wait-YA-Books of 2013

Happy New Year, friends! My sincerest apologies for failing to post much during the holidays. No wonder so many bloggers put up a leave-of-absence note on December 22nd; in between all the food, company, and this flu bug going around, there's just no time for blogging! Nevertheless, I'm back, slightly rejuvenated (came down with a cold... boooo), and ready to kick off the year with some of my most anticipated YA new releases of 2013!



Introducing...



The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd


A mad scientist? Creepy Animal Farm-like mutant animals? The crippling self-doubt of one's own sanity? YES, PLEASE! Inspired by H.G. Wells' The Island of Dr. Moreau, this is a gothic YA thriller that sounds like it's part Wide Sargasso Sea and part LOST (of which the author is apparently a fan of!). In short: I CAN'T WAIT TO READ IT!!! *does a jig* Not only are great historical YA novels few and far between--at least in my opinion--but this has all the potential of a juicy mystery wrapped up in the promise of a fast-paced action adventure. Although this looks to be the first part of Megan Shepherd's debut trilogy, I truly hope she delivers.



Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer


I'm trying not to include so many sequels in this list--which is hard to do since everything in YA seems to be part of a trilogy these days--but Cinder, the first book of the Lunar Chronicles series, was great! Granted, it didn't resonate with me as much as I thought it would have, it was one of those books that ended with a cliffhanger, so of course I need to know what happens next! Scarlet, in particular, is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood, and even though fairytale retellings are incredibly overdone, I'm excited to see what fresh, innovative twist Meyer comes up with this time.



The Moon and More by Sarah Dessen


Okay, I admit it: I'm a Dessen fan. But I can't help it!!! The woman writes with so much heartfelt teen candor. If contemporary YA fiction was prom night, she's definitely got my vote as prom queen. Anywho, I'm especially excited for The Moon and More, because like Along for the Ride, the story takes place the summer before the main character leaves for college. It's such a monumental moment in every teen's life, and one that's unusually charged with a lot of emotions, anticipation, and trepidation. Already clearing my favorites bookshelf for this one!



Mind Games by Kiersten White


The premise of Mind Games hooked me from the get-go. It's a story about two sisters with extraordinary powers (and what oddly unique powers they are!) who are trained for "corporate espionage." My response: COOL. Count me in for some corporate psychological thriller!



Etiquette and Espionage by Gail Carriger


From the author of the Parasol Protectorate series comes a YA steampunk quartet about a Victorian finishing school that trains girls for a different kind of "finishing"--as in finishing... someone of. *HISTORICAL YA FANGIRL MOMENT!!!* Other than the premise, I think I would have picked up this book based on the cover alone. So gorgeous.



The Archived by Victoria Schwab


The first sentence of the synopsis: "Imagine a place where the dead rest on shelves like books." Um. Hello!? How is one not hooked by a sentence like that? Mac is a Keeper, whose job is to make sure the Histories--that is, the dead--stays undisturbed; but when chapters in the Histories go missing, it's up to Mac to put everything back to rights. Such a creative concept concerning life and death! I can't wait to see what Schwab does with it

Last but certainly not least...



Detergent* (Divergent, #3) by Veronica Roth


*title is not yet known.

I know, I know... yet another installment to a trilogy. But this is it!! The LAST book in the bestselling Divergent trilogy! Finally, every twist and turn concerning Tris, Tobias, and co. will be RESOLVED. I'm looking forward to devouring this edge-of-your-seat, action-packed adventure in one sitting. Plus, you gotta respect an author who would jokingly refer to her upcoming book as "DETERGENT."


What are you looking forward to reading in 2013? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear back from you, so please feel free to leave a comment. By leaving a comment, you're also giving me the chance to visit your blog and discover new books, so YAY to win-win situations! (And if you chose to follow me, then it's safe to say that I am doing a spirited jig in your honor right now<3)