Monday, March 18, 2013

It's Monday! What Are You Reading? (1)



Mondays are usually associated with the first day of the work/school week--and thus a gray, dreary sense of doom. But on Book Blog Land, it's the day we get to recap what we read last week and the books we're looking forward to this week. The meme is hosted by Sheila at Bookjourney and the kidlit/YA version is hosted by Jen at Teach Mentor Texts!


Finished Reading:


The Nightmare Affair by Mindee Arnett

Sixteen-year-old Dusty Everhart breaks into houses late at night, but not because she’s a criminal. No, she’s a Nightmare.

Literally.

Being the only Nightmare at Arkwell Academy, a boarding school for magickind, and living in the shadow of her mother’s infamy, is hard enough. But when Dusty sneaks into Eli Booker’s house, things get a whole lot more complicated. He’s hot, which means sitting on his chest and invading his dreams couldn’t get much more embarrassing. But it does. Eli is dreaming of a murder.

Then Eli’s dream comes true.

Now Dusty has to follow the clues—both within Eli’s dreams and out of them—to stop the killer before more people turn up dead. And before the killer learns what she’s up to and marks her as the next target.


The Luxe by Anna Godbersen

Pretty girls in pretty dresses, partying until dawn.
Irresistible boys with mischievous smiles and dangerous intentions.
White lies, dark secrets, and scandalous hookups.
This is Manhattan, 1899. Beautiful sisters Elizabeth and Diana Holland rule Manhattan's social scene. Or so it appears. When the girls discover their status among New York City's elite is far from secure, suddenly everyone--from the backstabbing socialite Penelope Hayes, to the debonair bachelor Henry Schoonmaker, to the spiteful maid Lina Broud--threatens Elizabeth's and Diana's golden future.

With the fate of the Hollands resting on her shoulders, Elizabeth must choose between family duty and true love. But when her carriage overturns near the East River, the girl whose glittering life lit up the city's gossip pages is swallowed by the rough current. As all of New York grieves, some begin to wonder whether life at the top proved too much for this ethereal beauty, or if, perhaps, someone wanted to see Manhattan's most celebrated daughter disappear...

In a world of luxury and deception, where appearance matters above everything and breaking the social code means running the risk of being ostracized forever, five teenagers lead dangerously scandalous lives. This thrilling trip to the age of innocence is anything but innocent.


Currently Reading:


So Close to You by Rachel Carter

Lydia Bentley doesn't believe the rumors about the Montauk Project, that there's some sort of government conspiracy involving people vanishing and tortured children. But her grandfather is sure that the Project is behind his father's disappearance more than sixty years earlier. While helping her grandfather search Camp Hero, a seemingly abandoned military base on Long Island, for information about the disappearance, Lydia is transported back to 1944--just a few days before her great-grandfather's disappearance. Lydia begins to unravel the dark secrets of the Montauk Project and her own family history, despite warnings from Wes, a mysterious boy she is powerfully attracted to but not sure she should trust.


Stung by Bethany Wiggins

There is no cure for being stung.

Fiona doesn’t remember going to sleep. But when she opens her eyes, she discovers her entire world has been altered—her house is abandoned and broken, and the entire neighborhood is barren and dead. Even stranger is the tattoo on her right hand—a black oval with five marks on either side—that she doesn’t remember getting but somehow knows she must cover at any cost. She’s right.

Those bearing the tattoo have turned into mindless, violent beasts that roam the streets and sewers, preying upon the unbranded while a select few live protected inside a fortress-like wall, their lives devoted to rebuilding society and killing all who bear the mark.

Now Fiona has awakened branded, alone—and on the wrong side of the wall.

Meant to Be by Lauren Morrill

Meant to be or not meant to be . . . that is the question.

It's one thing to fall head over heels into a puddle of hazelnut coffee, and quite another to fall for the—gasp—wrong guy. Straight-A junior Julia may be accident prone, but she's queen of following rules and being prepared. That's why she keeps a pencil sharpener in her purse and a pocket Shakespeare in her, well, pocket. And that's also why she's chosen Mark Bixford, her childhood crush, as her MTB ("meant to be").

But this spring break, Julia's rules are about to get defenestrated (SAT word: to be thrown from a window) when she's partnered with her personal nemesis, class-clown Jason, on a school trip to London. After one wild party, Julia starts receiving romantic texts . . . from an unknown number! Jason promises to help discover the identity of her mysterious new suitor if she agrees to break a few rules along the way. And thus begins a wild goose chase through London, leading Julia closer and closer to the biggest surprise of all: true love.

Because sometimes the things you least expect are the most meant to be.

So far, they're all really good, and I love the diversity: a time-travel sci-fi/paranormal, post-apocalyptic dystopian, and a light-hearted contemporary romance. I've certainly got my hands full!

How about you? What are you reading this week?

13 comments:

  1. I haven't read any of those, although I do want to read them all. I've heard really good things about Meant to Be, I hope you're enjoying it. Thanks for visiting my Monday post. I'm following your blog.

    LisaILJ @ I’ll Tumble for YA

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should! Meant to Be is amazingly witty so far; I'm really enjoying it. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and for subscribing! I'm looking forward to your posts as well. :)

      Delete
  2. I have Luxe in my home library. Just haven't had a chance to get to it yet. Hope you enjoyed it and all your reads.

    Thanks for visiting me and for the compliments...and for following. I was a history major so I'm very passionate about history and historical fiction...hence the look. I'm now following you back via GFC and email. =O)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Luxe definitely has its historical inaccuracies, but I was surprised that I enjoyed it nonetheless. I'm going to put up a review for it soon, so I hope to expound more on it there!

      And yes, I'm so glad to have found your blog! I knew the moment I spotted your Downton Abbey character widget that we were kindred spirits. ;)

      Delete
  3. Wow, what a great variety of books you are reading! I really love time travel plots, so that one caught my eye.

    Enjoy your books this week -

    Sue

    Great Books for Kids and Teens

    Book By Book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! Each book is so different from the last, and juggling all three makes for a very interesting experience, that's for sure. So Close to You (the one with time travel in it) is really good so far and based off of a real-life conspiracy theory, so I highly recommend it!

      Thanks for stopping by, Sue, and hope you enjoy your reads as well! :)

      Delete
  4. I've been wanting to read Nightmare Affair. The rest of these look great as well. I think I'll be adding Stung and Meant to Be to my reading list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Nightmare Affair is a fun read! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it if/when you read it. My review for it will actually be up either today or tomorrow, so stay tuned for that! :)

      Also, Stung and Meant to Be are excellent so far. You should totally pick them up.

      Delete
  5. These all seem great! Hope your enjoying them:) Thank you so much for featuring my blog on your sidebar, and for visiting, it means a lot! <3 love your blog;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks so much, Esty!! I'm glad you like the blog, and I'm SUPER glad that I came across yours. Looking forward to following you as well! :D

      Delete
  6. I haven´t read any of those but I want to read Meant to be.
    thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You totally should; Meant to Be is great so far. Thanks, Adriana! Looking forward to your posts!

      Delete
  7. Yep, so far they really are! Thanks, Ashley, and happy reading to you, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear back from you, so please feel free to leave a comment. By leaving a comment, you're also giving me the chance to visit your blog and discover new books, so YAY to win-win situations! (And if you chose to follow me, then it's safe to say that I am doing a spirited jig in your honor right now<3)