Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Road Trip Wednesday #161: What's In A Name?

highwayer

Road Trip Wednesdays is a "blog carnival" where the contributors at YA Highway put up a reading- or writing-related question and bloggers all around the world answer it!


This Week's Topic is: 


The list of top baby names in 2012 had us talking about naming characters. How do you decide on names? Would you ever name a character after a friend/family member/ex?

Fact: I'm a super indecisive person. On my current work-in-progress, I've changed my main character's name FIVE times. No joke: Lavinia, Violet, Evelyn, Vivienne, and now Ava. (Obviously I'm slightly obsessed with the letter "v.") Regardless, I mainly decide based on feel. Now that might sound slightly strange, but different names have a different "feel" to me--either derived from various people I know, how the name sounds, or the meaning of the name--and I try to match up that "feel" with how my main character is. For instance, the name "Ava" connotes a simple elegance and symmetry to me, perfect for an unassuming girl in post-Edwardian times who's finding her true worth. As for the foil character's name, "Seraphina," that was decided purely on meaning (FYI, Seraphina came from the biblical word "seraphim" and means "the fiery ones"). Speaking of the meaning behind names, here are a couple of sites I've found tremendously useful: Behind the Name, Baby Names, and Behind the Surname.

Lastly, while I would never name a character after an ex (why? just... why?), I'm of the opinion that friends' or family members' names are totally up for grabs.

So, there you go! That's how I play the name game!

And now... tag! You're it! How do you decide on names?

12 comments:

  1. I always look forward to your post, you always seem to be able to find a way to make every time interesting and full of fresh content and ideas. you are the professional of blogging.
    ATTITUDE QUOTES
    LEADERSHIP QUOTES
    MOTIVATIONAL QUOTES
    POSITIVE QUOTES

    ReplyDelete
  2. chattertale.blogspot.com/2012/12/road-trip-wednesday-161-what-in-name.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you’re just extremely great. I really like what you’ve acquired here, really like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it entertaining and you still care for to keep it smart. I can’t wait to read much more from you. This is really a terrific website.


    uwatch,
    desiremovie com,
    13377x proxy,
    रोमांटिक शायरी हिंदी में लिखी हुई

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate how you seem to be everywhere. I see you more than I read every time I come over here to read something. Keep it up, it's a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a blog website? The account aided me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear idea

    malayalam quotes
    love quotes malayalam
    sad quotes malayalam
    motivational quotes in malayalam
    friendship quotes malayalam

    ReplyDelete
  6. Recruitment agencies collaborate with government policies aimed at protecting migrant workers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Malice encompasses feelings of ill will, spite, and desire to harm others. Unlike anger or jealousy, which manga go may arise from specific triggers, malice often simmers beneath the surface, fueled by deep-seated resentment manga go or envy. It is a deliberate intent to inflict pain or suffering on others, whether through actions or words.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wise Care 365 Pro employs advanced algorithms to scan and clean your system, removing unnecessary files and optimizing settings to boost performance. By eliminating clutter and streamlining operations, it ensures that your computer runs faster and more efficiently, even for resource-intensive tasks like gaming or multimedia editing.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by! I'd love to hear back from you, so please feel free to leave a comment. By leaving a comment, you're also giving me the chance to visit your blog and discover new books, so YAY to win-win situations! (And if you chose to follow me, then it's safe to say that I am doing a spirited jig in your honor right now<3)